Alaska 2012 - Part 1: Sitka

Alaska 2012: Sitka
Alaska 2012: Sitka, a photo by apple-pine on Flickr.

Scanning was not as bad as I dreaded but sorting through lots of little things and trying to organize sketches takes me longer than I thought.

This post is about me sketching in Sitka - an amazing city with mountains growing right out of streets, clouds traveling between buildings, some tourists and somewhat over 8K population. People fish and hunt to get their proteins. They rarely notice rain but definitely notice sunshine!
 Alaska 2012: Sitka 
Sitka has numerous epic views. But few of them have covered spots to sketch them. This brown building is city library - I sketched in (see below) when "heavier" rain made me move from the bridge viewpoint on one of the days.

Alaska 2012: Sitka
Alaska 2012: SItka

I had several sketchbooks and smaller sheets of paper with me to be as mobile as possible and to keep my main sketchbook (Stillman & Birn Alpha series 8.5 x 11 hardbound) dry. Every time I got into a dry place (library, bunk house, tent) I taped my "pocket" sketches in and added some comments. 
 Alaska 2012: SItka 
More Sitka sketches to come tomorrow :) 

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure and lively sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Nina! Your colors... your lines.... Can't wait to see more! What a joy to see Sltka through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Nina! I've looked through your pictures on Flickr but I'll spend more time here reading about your adventures. Sounds like you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete